The Office of Guidance and Counselling
Kyambogo University is established by the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions (Establishment of Kyambogo University) Instrument of 2003, as a merger of UgandaPolytechnic, Kyambogo (UPK), Institute of Teacher Education, Kyambogo (ITEK) and Uganda National Institute of Special Education (UNISE).
Ă˘â‚¬Ĺ“To be a Centre of Academic and Professional ExcellenceĂ˘â‚¬Âť
Ă˘â‚¬Ĺ“To advance and promote knowledge and development of skills in Science, technology and education, and in such other fields having regard for quality, equity, progress and transformation of societyĂ˘â‚¬Âť.
Knowledge and Skills for Service
The Office of Guidance and Counselling
The Guidance and Counselling Unit is a section under the StudentĂ˘â‚¬â„˘s Welfare Department of Kyambogo University that gives psychological support to students and staff through counselling intervention.
The Guidance and Counselling Unit is currently located at 25 Harlow Road, above Student Centre and Opposite Peace Park``.
1. Jean Kyomugisha - Nuwagaba University Counsellor
2. Joyce Bukirwa Sessanga University Counsellor
3. Jane Kebingi Office Attendant
What is counselling?
Counselling is a psychological service provided by a professional counsellor to help an individual deal with challenging life issues of emotional nature.
The purpose of counselling is to enable individual make healthy informed decisions; to help an individual discover and utilise their maximal potential; to encourage individual make and sustain healthy relationships; to encourage individuals cope positively with challenging life situations; to help individuals develop self awareness and understanding in order to build their confidence.
Counselling is built on the core values of confidentiality, respect and self development. An individual has a right to give informed consent in issues pertaining to their personal lives and is encouraged to set practical goals pertaining to their life issues.
- To coordinate all guidance and counselling services of Kyambogo University
- To provide and promote professional counselling services at Kyambogo University
- To involve the students of Kyambogo University in delivery of guidance and counselling
- To sensitise the entire Kyambogo University community of the importance of Guidance and Counselling.
- To provide an environment conducive for Guidance and Counselling
- To provide routine professional counselling services, individual and group to students and staff of KYU.
- To sensitise students in halls and hostels of residence about counselling services.
- To sensitize Kyambogo University community about counselling.
- To mentor to work scheme students.
- To help students deal with challenges of academic nature such as developing study skills, avoid and / or overcome stress pertaining to retakes and unexpected grades.
- To support students in developing strategies towards HIV and AIDS prevention.
- To support individuals who are unhealthy and on medication e.g. Sicklers, Mental illness, Cancer and HIV to cope with the related challenges including stigma and adherence.
- To help students explore and deal with challenging family issues that can be a stumbling block towards their development.
- To help students in halls of residence and hostels explore and deal with challenging issue with their roommates on campus.
- To mentor counsellor trainees.
- To organise open talks with students and staff of KYU.
- To organise counselling fellowships, seminars and workshops for staff of KYU.
- To organise peer counsellors trainings among students of KYU.
- To provide counselling support to staff and students in crisis.
- To organise motivational demonstrations that are beneficial to counselling.
- To establish and maintain a resource centre beneficial to counselling clientele at KYU.
- To network with other counselling agencies in professional development and for the benefit of our clientele.
- To attend to the department of studentsĂ˘â‚¬â„˘ welfare assigned activities.
- We recommend that students develop healthy relationships with their peers, lecturers, and administrative staff and make right decisions concerning boyfriend and girlfriend relationships.
- We also encourage students towards community consciousness and refer or inform the Office of Guidance and Counselling about colleagues who need help i.e. are sick, having emotional challenges so that we can reach out to them.
Remember that the University Counsellors are your friends; you should not carry the burden of challenges alone while you are at KYU. Please schedule an appointment with the counsellor at will. Your interaction with the counsellor will be respected and confidential
Jean Kyomugisha Ă˘â‚¬â€ś Nuwagaba: 077 2 518 198, 070 2 518 198
Joyce Bukirwa Sessanga 075 2 630 564, 070 1 630 563
We appreciate and respect you.