FACULTY OF EDUCATION LINKAGES, AFILIATIONS AND UNITS
The Faculty of Education has academic linkages with numerous national and international institutions. These include;
i) Primary Teachersâ€™ Colleges offering Diploma in Education Primary (DEPE) on Distance Learning. The following Primary Teachers Collegeâ€™s are the centres where DEPE face to face sessions are conducted;
- Kibuli Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Kampala)
- Kabwangasi, Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Mbale)
- Kamurasi, Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Masindi)
- Ibanda, Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Ibanda)
- Christ the King, Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Gulu)
- Canon Lawrence, Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Lira)
- Busuubizi, Primary Teacherâ€™s College
- St.John Bosco, Lodonga, Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Arua)
- Jinja, Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Wanyange Jinja)
ii) Primary Teachersâ€™ Colleges offering Diploma in Special Needs Education y (DSNEE) on Distance Learning. The following Primary Teachers Collegeâ€™s are the centres where DSNEE face to face sessions are conducted
- St.Marys Bukedea, Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Mbale)
- Kamurasi, Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Mbale)
- Kiyoora, Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Ntungamo)
- Loro, Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Lira)
- Nkoko-Njeru, Primary Teacherâ€™s College
- Rakai, Primary Teacherâ€™s College (Bikira Kyotera)
Currently the following institutions are affiliated to Kyambogo University through the Faculty of Education and its Departments:
- Nile Vocational Institute offering Certificate in Nursery Teaching (CNT).
- Sanyu Training Institute Kampala offering Certificate in Nursery Teaching (CNT)
- Kaliote Institute of Teacher Education offering Certificate in Technical Teacher Education (CTTE)
- Abilonino Community Polytechnic Instructors Institute offering Diploma in Technical Teacher Education
- National Teachers Colleges awarding body for Diploma in Education Secondary (DES)
- Primary Teachers Colleges offering Diploma in Primary Education (DEP).
Achievements with Key Collaborations with Stakeholders
The Faculty of Education through the Department of Teacher Education and Development Studies in collaboration with the Ministry of Education and Sports have initiated the Certificate in Teacher Education Proficiency (CTEP). Work on the Instructors programme for Non Formal Education is also on going. The Department of Psychology together with the Psychosocial Training Institute in Arua has designed a Postgraduate Diploma in Psychosocial Interventions which will soon be presented to the Board of the School of Postgraduate Studies.
Key Units in the Faculty
In addition to the Departments, the Faculty of Education has a number of units designed to enhance its professional character and activities. These include:
a) Child to Child programme
b) Mediated Learning Experience, with the following objectives;
- To improve the quality of interactions between the caregiver/mediator and the child.
- To promote self esteem and self image in children.
- To make the world more accessible to the child through interactions.
c) Child friendly basic education and learning, run jointly by Kyambogo
University, UNICEF and the Ministry of Education & Sports.
d) Child Study Centre, the main goals of the centre are;
- To teach children of nursery age using modern methodologies, equipment
- and materials
- To provide day care services to young children whose parents are working.
- To carry out action research in various aspects of early childhood education which have impact in childrenâ€™s learning and their environment.
e) Early Childhood Education Resource Centre; developed in collaboration
with Aga Khan Education Service Uganda. Its concerned with
development of Instructional materials for use in nursery and primary schools and PTCâ€™s.