CAPACITY BUILDING IN TEACHER EDUCATION FOR CHILDREN WITH DISABILITIES AND SPECIAL NEEDS PROJECT
External Funder: Funded by Norwegian Centre for International Cooperation in Higher Education (NUFU) and implemented by KYU (Faculty of SNE and Rehab.) in cooperation with the University of Oslo (Department of Special Needs Education). Kenya Institute of Special Needs Education (KISE) will also be affiliated to the project.
Commencement date: January 2008
Duration of the project 5 years
Termination date December 2012
Project coordinator at KYU: Faculty of Special Needs
1. To provide capacity building for lecturers at PHD, Master Degree levels.
2. To support lecturers acquire skills and knowledge in research data analysis and publishing about principles underlying Special Needs Education and Inclusive Education.
3. To support the FSNER to start a master in Special Needs Education Programmed.
Activities carried out
1. The project to facilitate 3 PHD scholars from Kyambogo University to study at the University of Oslo.
2. Two (2) scholars in Masters in Special Needs Education from KISE to study in Kyambogo University.
3. Capacity building of lecturers in data analysis, analytical writing and supervision of research projects.
1. The tripartite contact agreement was signed by the Ag. Vice Chancellor KYU, paving way for release of funds.
2. One prospective PhD scholar has submitted application proposal for admission into the Doctorate program in 2008. Three other lecturers are preparing proposals.
1. There was a delay in signing agreement by the three partners. This has led to delay in the implementation of the project activities.
Way forward/Activities to be carried out
1. A two weeks research and analytical writing seminar has been planned to take place in March 2008.
2. One Librarian to be facilitated to attend an International Federation of librarians Association (IFLA) conference in South Africa