DEVELOPING TEACHER EDUCATION FOR INCLUSIVE SCHOOLS PROJECT
External funder: Funded by NORAD and is implemented by Kyambogo University faculty of Special Needs and Rehabilitation in collaboration with the Univeristy of Oslo (Department of Special Needs Education) and Kenya Institute of Special Education.
Commencement date: January 2006
Duration of the project: 2 years
Termination date: December 2007
Project coordinator at KYU: Faculty of Education
1. To change the Teacher Education Curricular so that perspectives of inclusion and the needs of children with special needs are taken care of.
2. To develop the research competence in and critical analysis of teacher education approaches and curriculum issues among the teacher educators.
Activities Carried out
1. Recording of video materials in preparing teachers for Inclusive Education.
2. Piloting the use of the video materials.
3. Seminars /conferences and the project/study.
4. Publication and documentation of results.
1. The project participants attended a conference on language education in Africa in Oslo, Norway.
2. Recording of video sequence was done.
3. Pilot studies on the use of video sequences were carried out.
4. Plans are under way to implement the use of DVD materials and analyzing the findings.
5. Some aspects on the use of DVD sequences have been infused in the curriculum.
6. Purchase of five computers and three DVD players for the FNSNER, Bukedea PTC and Nkokonjeru were done.
1. The project was to some extent, affected by the unrest in Kyambogo University.
2. Participants also experienced time constraint.
3. There has been delay in receiving the edited video recordings from Oslo, hence delaying the main research activities.
Way Forward/activities to be carried out
Project activities to continue despite the end of the project period.