INTERNATIONAL LABOUR ORGANISATION/INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMME
ON THE ELIMINATION OF CHILD LABOUR PROJECT
External Funder: ILO/IPEC
Commencement date: June 2008
Duration of the project: 6 months
Termination date: September 2008
Project coordinator at KYU: Faculty of Education
(i) To introduce the SCREAM special module on HIV/AIDS and child labour in the selected PTCs.
(ii) To implement the SCREAM special module on HIV/ AIDS and child labour in selected primary schools.
Activities to be carried out
1. Training lecturers on the use of SCREAM module in combating HIV/AIDS and Child labour.
2. Sensitizing and training Tutors of Rakai and Kibuli PTcs on the use of the SCREAM module in combating HIV/AIDS and child labour.
3. Sensitising and training 100 teachers in 7 selected primary schools of Rakai and Kampala district on the use of SCREAM module.
4. Establishment of Child Labour Clubs in Rakai and Kibuli PTCs.
5. Develop and disseminate messages on HIV/AIDS and child labour within the university campus and surrounding areas.
6. Infusion of SCREAM module on HIV/AIDS and child labour in the university and PTC curriculum.
7. Use of the media to disseminate messages on child labour and HIV/AIDS.
1. 20 KYU students empowered with information sharing skills on HIV/AIDS and child labor
2. 20 lectures trained as trained trainers
3. Dissemination of child labour messages with in the university, PTCs and primary schools by the studentâ€™s /pupils club
4. T-shirts and posters printed and designed with messages on HIV/AIDS related child labour
5. 70 PTC tutors trained as SCREAM facilitators
6. 100 teachers and members of the school management committee sensitized on HIV/AIDS induced child labour and the use of the SCREAM module
7. 210 children form seven selected schools sensitized and empowered with information sharing skills on HIV/AIDS and child labour using SCREAM
8. Child to child clubs in seven selected schools established and strengthened
1. Thin staff on ground i.e. only the coordinators post is filled, there is no secretary, Administrative Assistant nor office attendant
2. Irregular provision of transport by the university for field work
A new project proposal is being designed with more out reach activities for the students club