Department of Music and Performing Arts
The Department of Performing Arts appreciates the effort to browse through this website. Besides imparting knowledge and skills to students, we carry out a number of activities, projects, and research. We are also a practical Department, which is the “lifeblood” of Kyambogo that plans and provides most of the entertainment needed by the University.
Solome Katasi – Head of Department
- The Department of Music was established in 1964, in the then Government Teacher Training College (GTTC) Kyambogo through the guidance of Mr. Peter Cooke.
- In 1986 When Kyambogo attained the status of the Institute of Teacher Education (ITEK), the Department took on the role of producing Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) or Graduate teachers of music
- It was In 2005 when Kyambogo became a fully pledged Public University, that the Department was renamed as Performing Arts.
- Produce the best teachers, lecturers, and tutors of music for secondary schools and tertiary institutions
- Provide an avenue for promotion and preservation of Uganda’s rich music and cultural heritage;
- Design professional tailor-made refresher courses and upgrade training facilities for Music Teachers and Artists.
- Produce well skilled and knowledgeable students to perform recordings for Radio, Television and Film/ Video.
- Design packages for short courses to suit semester breaks or summer holidays for interested individuals;
- Provide a conducive atmosphere for Research, Documentation, Archiving, and Publication
- Produce professional musicians for the growing music/entertainment industry in Uganda;
To promote excellence in the growth and development of music, dance and drama education and performance in Uganda, through didactic professional training, public performance, research, consultancy and publications.
- Master of Arts in Music.
- Master Arts in Music Education.
- Bachelor of Arts with Education – Music with 1 other teaching subjects
- Bachelor of Education – Secondary (Sec);
- Bachelor of Education – Primary (Pr.);
- Bachelor of Performing Arts;
- Bachelor of Teacher Education;
- Bachelor of Arts (Arts), Music as one of the courses;
- Diploma in Theatre and Performing Arts
- Diploma in Education Secondary. (DES)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Education
- Post Graduate Diploma in Teacher Education
- Diploma of Education Primary External
- Bachelor of Education Primary External.