Kyambogo University was established in 2003 through the University and Other Tertiary Institutions Act (2003), Instrument No. 37. The University has since then been in the process of transformation. Since its formation in 2003 as a public University, KyU has steadily grown to become a leading University in the country today with over 51,000 students on campus and in its affiliated institutions. It was a result of a merger of three former Institutions namely:
- Institute of Teacher Education (ITEK),
- Uganda Polytechnic Kyambogo (UPK) and
- Uganda National Institute of Special Needs Education (UNISE) in 2003 through Instrument No. 37 of the Tertiary and Other Institutions Act of 2003.
Knowledge and skills for service
- Quality: Ensuring high quality of output and service delivery.
- Equity: Ensuring equal opportunity for all in all its programmes.
- Integrity: Promotion of a high sense of moral and ethical standards in all its dealings with stakeholders and the public.
- Professionalism: Professionalism is to be observed in all dealings and execution of the University’s mandate.
The following units constitute the Administrative arm of the University;
- Vice Chancellor’s Office (including DVC (F&A), DVC (AA), Public relations office, International Office, quality Assurance, Gender and Disability Support center);
- University Secretary (incl. Legal, Procurement Unit);
- Academic Registrar;
- Dean of Students;
- Directorate of ICT and Services;
- Directorate of Planning and Development;
- Directorate of Human Resources;
- Finance Department;
- Estates and Works Department and;
- The University Medical Clinic Services
The University governance structure is defined by the University and Other Tertiary Institutions Act, 2001 and is summarized below:
The University Council is the supreme organ of the University and is responsible for the overall administration, policy development and implementation.
The University Council, in its governance, is assisted by the following committees:
- Appointments Board
- Establishment and Administration Committee
- Finance and Planning Committee
- Estates and Works Committee
- Students Affairs Committee
- Finance and Resource Mobilization Committee
- Audit Committee
University Senate: University Senate is the academic policy organ and is responsible for the organization, control and direction of the academic matters of the University.
The Top Management of the University consists of the following officers:
- Vice-Chancellor who is responsible for academic, administrative and financial affairs of the University,
- Deputy Vice-Chancellors, responsible for academic affairs
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor, responsible for finance and administration.
- University Secretary, responsible for general administration,
- Academic Registrar, responsible for academic matters,
- University Librarian, responsible for the development, control, management and coordination of all library information services,
- University Bursar, responsible for financial administration and planning of the University;
- Dean of Students, responsible for students’ welfare.
- Chief Internal Auditor, responsible for providing assurance to Management and the University Council on the effective functioning of internal controls, risk assessment, and consistent application of University policies and applicable laws.
- Director of Human Resources, responsible for ensuring optimum use of Human resources as a key to achieve objectives of the University.
- Director Planning and Development, responsible for generating planning awareness, steering the University into a systematic planning process and coordinating all planning activities in the University including resource mobilization efforts.
- Director, Directorate of ICT and Services, responsible for ICT developments in the University.
- Senior Public Relations Officer, responsible for handling all planned public campaigns and PR activities of the University;
- Senior Legal Officer, responsible for the legal issues of the University;
- Senior Procurement Officer, responsible for all procurements of the University.