Message from Dean
Welcome to the Faculty of Science, Kyambogo University. Our mission is to transform the private sector and industry in general through training of a skilled based labor force, well equipped with relevant information, knowledge, and skills for service. The programmes under the Faculty of Science provides a wide knowledge and competence to students in various disciplines offered in the seven departments.
Since the formation of Kyambogo University in 2003, the Faculty of Science has embarked on the development of academic staff so as to improve on the research and innovation within the faculty. Currently, many academic staff members have attained PhDs in their respective academic disciplines, and many more are pursuing their PhD studies. The faculty has about 84 members of academic staff on a permanent appointment with about 40% PhD holders.
Because of increased numbers of qualified staff (PhDs, Associate Professors, and Professors), the faculty has many graduate programs (Postgraduate Diplomas, Masters and PhDs) in the departments of Food Technology, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Sports Science, mathematics and Physics. All these postgraduate programs have allowed the faculty to be at the center of research and innovation in the University.
Faculty of Science benefitted from the AfDB grant with a new multipurpose science laboratory equipped with new modern laboratory equipment. This has boosted the research within the faculty especially postgraduate programs.
Partnerships and Collaborations
The faculty through its departments is partnering and collaborating with a number of institutions and universities both locally, regionally and internationally especially in areas of research and career development, for example;
- Department of Food Technology has a joint collaboration with KU- Leuven University, Belgium in research and PhD supervision where they are offering a sandwich PhD programs.
- Department of Chemistry has a collaboration with company Technip France S.A in areas of oil and gas training.
- Faculty of Science and Bahir Dar University through the Institute of Textile and Fashion Technology had signed a memorandum of understanding in collaboration in research and training in the areas of Textile Technology.
- Kyambogo University through faculty of Science has signed a memorandum of understanding in the development of academic programs and student and staff exchange with Dundalk Institute of Technology, Ireland.
- Others include collaborations with various colleges in Makerere University, Wakiso District Local government, Butabika Hospital, and China-Uganda friendship hospital, Naguru.
Conferences: The Faculty in conjunction with the graduate school, usually organizes an annual graduate conference where graduate students in the faculty and other researchers disseminate their research findings to the public. This has enabled students to learn a great deal from others’ research and also make valuable contacts through networking. Many have reported that the experience was helpful in preparing them for work.
Many departments in the Faculty of Science are running graduate programs (Postgraduate Diplomas, Masters and PhD). Check out our graduate programmes.
To be a Centre of Academic and Professional Excellence in Science training, Research, Development, and Innovation.
To transform the private sector and industry in general through training of a skilled based labour force, well equipped with relevant information, knowledge, and skills for service.
About the Faculty of Science
Faculty of Science has seven departments offering science-based courses deeply rooted in the heritage of Uganda Polytechnic College with hands-on training to provide graduates with necessary knowledge and skills to meet the challenges of working in a modern workplace. The training provides graduates with the foundation to succeed academically and professionally in the field of study.
The seven (7) departments have several courses being undertaken by students at different levels. The different courses offered at the seven departments…Read more