HISTORY OF KYAMBOGO UNIVERSITY
Kyambogo University (KYU) was established with the main aim of promoting and advancing knowledge and development of skills in Science, Technology and Education and such other fields having regards for quality, equity, progress and transformation of society.
The University that now sits on Banda Hill is one of Uganda’s largest public Universities established by the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act 2001 and the Universities and Other Tertiary institutions (Establishment of Kyambogo University) instruments of 2003. It is a merger of the former Uganda Polytechnic Kyambogo (UPK), the Institute of Teacher Education, Kyambogo (ITEK), and the Uganda National Institute of Special Education (UNISE).
Uganda Polytechnic Kyambogo – (UPK)
UPK started in 1928 as a small technical school on the Makerere Hill and was transferred to Kyambogo Hill in 1958 as Kampala Technical Institute. It was renamed Uganda Technical College and finally Uganda Polytechnic, Kyambogo (UPK).
Institute of Teacher Education Kyambogo (ITEK)
ITEK with a motto “NOTHING WITHOUT LABOUR” started as a one roomed Government Teacher Training College (GTTC) in 1948 in Nyakasura, Fort Portal and transferred to Ruharo and then Ntare Hill all in Mbarara, western Uganda in 1949 and 1950 respectively .After about four years it had to be moved to Kyambogo hill due to the projected high numbers of students. It is clear that in 1952 the then Director of education proposed the foundation of a Central Government Teachers Training College at Kyambogo to produce a new type of teachers with practical training in handcraft. Regarding the choice of the Site at Kyambogo, it was advantageous to have the CGTTC near the new Kampala Technical College. In fact it was to become the Uganda Institute of Education. It transformed into a National Teachers College in 1965 to start handling Diploma Courses. The creation of new NTCs around the country in mid 1980s created room for the Institute to concentrate on programmes for Teacher Educators through in-service degree programs. In Sept 1987, the then principle of ITEK wrote to the Minister of Education to indicate that the institute was ready to take on Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) degree courses for the 1987 intake for in-service students. The Institute of Teacher Education Kyambogo was finally legally born following the passing of the Institute of Education act. 1987 which made ITEK an autonomous institute for the first time.
Uganda National Institute of Special Education UNISE
UNISE on the other hand started as a Department of Special Education at ITEK in 1988, and later became an autonomous institution by act of parliament in 1998.
The three institutions were merged to form Kyambogo University, the third public university to be established in Uganda.
The monument has existed since the ITEK times.
Source: Institute of Teacher Education Kyambogo Origins and Development By – C. B. Adupa and D. K. Mulindwa as Editors with foreword by Professor A. J. Lutalo-Bosa.