Makerere University received a postdoctoral fellowship development grant from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, 2022 – 2024. The grant will be aimed at consolidating the research capacity of early-career academics to enhance their research productivity and ability to contribute effectively to global knowledge generation at MAK and its four partner public Universities (Busitema, Gulu, Kyambogo, Mbarara). The Grant will support 25 fellows (15 MAK;10 PPUs) awarded on a competitive basis, to begin by 2022. We now invite applications from eligible staff employed at Makerere University or any of the four partner public University named above.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply. At least 50 percent of the fellowships will be awarded to female applicants on a competitive basis.
- An employee of MAK or any of the four PPUs (Busitema, Gulu, Kyambogo, Mbarara) on permanent or contractual
- Possess a PhD degree in any discipline earned within the last 10 years
- At the rank of Assistant Lecturer or Lecturer
- At least one peer-reviewed article/paper as evidence of publication experience
- Not hold another ongoing fellowship or major research grant (as PI) at the time of application.
Benefits of the Fellowship
The fellowship amount is USD $ 37,000 to cover expenses for the following activities:
- Research costs (Lab/fieldwork expenses, procurement of minor equipment, consumables and supplies (reagents), research assistants, IRB fees)
- Dissemination and outreach activities
- Tuition and research funds for masters’ student attached to the project
- Publication fees for an article published in reputable peer-reviewed journals
- Organization of a seminar or workshop series in the fellow’s department Professional skills enhancement training
- Conference attendance and travel costs to present papers at international conferences (travel expenses, visa fees, and subsistence allowance).
In addition, the academic department hosting a fellow will be eligible to apply for a grant of up to USD
$ 6,000 to upgrade research infrastructure, for example augmenting internet access, adding to or replacing research technology, and developing new courses or teaching materials.
Obligations and deliverables of the fellow
Fellows must commit to undertake and complete the following activities:
- Conduct research under the mentorship of a senior academic,
- Dissemination of research results to academic (published articles/papers) and non-academic audiences (policy dialogues),
- Organize academic activities in the department g. curriculum development/review seminars, lunchtime seminars.
- Supervise the master’s student attached to the
- Participate in professional skills and competency development training workshops organized by Makerere
- Publish atleast one article/paper in a peer-reviewed journal
- Submit regular quarterly progress reports, endorsed by the mentor and the final report no later than one month after the completion of the fellowship. All peer-reviewed publications and submitted manuscripts must be attached to the report.
Application instructions and procedure
- A research concept paper submitted in Microsoft Word in Arial font, size 11, single-spaced.
- A realistic budget with budget notes explain the different expenditure items
- Detailed work-plan and procurement Plan (max. 1 page)
- A current CV (max. 1 page)
- Softcopies of at least one article/paper published in a peer-review journal
- Recommendation letters from two academic referees, one of which must be from the Head of Department indicating the academic ability of the applicant and that once successful, the fellow will be granted protected research time during the fellowship period
- Electronic submission of application with supporting documents and two letters of academic reference (submit file name: doc) to the Director, Directorate of Research and Graduate Training, Makerere University; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Copy to: email@example.com
- Hard copies should be addressed to the Director, Directorate of Research and Graduate Training, Makerere University, O.BOX 7062 Kampala, Senate Building Level 4, Room 410.
- Submission deadline: 13th May 2022, 5:00PM
Detailed information about the application and the application form for the fellowship can be obtained from the DRGT website: https://rgt.mak.ac.ug
For further information regarding this call, please contact:
Mr. Nestor Mugabe Research Grants Officer
Directorate of Research and Graduate Training Lincoln Flats, Room B5
Makerere University Cell: +256782770032