Engineering at Kyambogo University dates back to 1928 when it started as Kampala Technical School on Makerere hill;
- In 1942 Kampala Technical School (KTS) moved to Nakawa and then in 1954, it relocated to Kyambogo hill and was named Kampala Technical Institute (KTI).
- In 1964, KTI was renamed Uganda Technical College (UTC) Kyambogo,
- In 1986, UTC, Kyambogo was upgraded into Uganda Polytechnic Kyambogo (UPK)
- Uganda Polytechnic Kyambogo was turned into the Faculty of Engineering and was merged with Uganda National Institute of Special Needs Education (UNISE), Institute of Teacher Education (ITEK) to form Kyambogo University in 2003
- The total enrolment for 2018/2019 Academic Year is 5641 students
- 28 academic programmes
- Over 200 teaching staff (Lecturers and Technicians)
- 60 workshops & Laboratories
- 40 Lecture rooms
- Facilities for the disabled have been constructed in all Faculty structures
The Faculty of Engineering at Kyambogo University is the Largest Faculty of Engineering in Uganda in terms of Student Population and Infrastructure.
The Faculty of Engineering comprises (4) Departments:
- Department of Civil and Building Engineering
- Department of Mechanical and Production Engineering
- Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering (Visit Website)
- Department of Lands and Architectural Studies
Department of Civil and Building Engineering
The Department runs a total of seven (7) academic programmes: Three Masters, one Bachelors and three Diplomas
- Master of Science in Structural Engineering
- Master of Science in Water and Sanitation Engineering
- Master of Science in Construction Management and Technology
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil and Building Engineering
- Higher Diploma in Civil and Building Engineering
- Diploma in Civil and Building Engineering
- Diploma in Water Engineering
The Department runs a total of Nine (10) academic programmes: one Masters, four Bachelors and four Diplomas
- Master of Science in Advanced Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Post Graduate Diploma in Manufacturing Systems Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Automotive and Power Engineering
- Bachelor of Environmental Engineering and Management
- Bachelor of Industrial Engineering and Management
- Higher Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma in Automobile Engineering
- Diploma in Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineering
The Department runs a total of seven (7) academic programmes: three Bachelors and four Diplomas
- Bachelor of Engineering in Telecommunications Engineering.
- Bachelor of Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Biomedical Engineering with Mechatronics
- Higher Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- Diploma in Computer Engineering
- Diploma in Telecommunications Engineering
Department of Lands and Architectural Studies
The Department runs a total of five (5) academic programmes: four Bachelors and one Diploma
- Bachelor of Science in Surveying and Land Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Building Economics
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Bachelor of Science in Land Economics
- Diploma in Architecture
- Very strong hands-on Engineering training; having started as a training centre for artisans, craftsmen and technicians
- Highly sought after programmes at graduate and undergraduate level
- Adequate number of workshops, laboratories, and lecture rooms
- Committed staff
Entry into the Faculty of Engineering, Kyambogo University
- Kyambogo University gives the opportunity to people who dropped out of school for reasons other than the academic ability to develop their full potential.
- For example, Figure 1 shows the routes available for one to acquire a bachelor’s degree in civil and Building Engineering at Kyambogo University.
- There are three basic routes to joining the programme. The Direct Entry for holders of A-Level and Mature Age Entry both of which join into the first year and take four years (eight semesters and three recess periods of Industrial Training).
- The Diploma Entry into the first year, second year and third year depending upon the class of diploma. Someone with a Credit or Upper Second-class Higher Diploma in Civil Engineering may be admitted into the 3rd year of the B.Eng, while one with a Credit or Upper Second-class Diploma may be admitted into the 2nd The Diploma Programmes of Kyambogo University have been structured in such a way that a graduate with Diploma covers all course units in the 1st year of the B.Eng in addition to trades and skills needed in the field to practice as a Technician. A graduate of Higher Diploma in Civil and Building Engineering covers all the courses covered in the second year of B.Eng in addition to other professional course units and skills needed in the field to practice as a Technologist.
Cooperation with other Engineering Faculties and Technical Colleges
Kyambogo University and Faculty of Engineering has a Memorandum of Understanding with
- CEDAT, Makerere University
- Faculty of Engineering, Muteesa I Royal University
- Faculty of Engineering, Ndejje University
- Faculty of Engineering, Kampala International University
The Faculty of Engineering also trained lecturers in the government-owned Uganda Technical Colleges (UTCs) of Lira, Bushenyi, Kichwamba and Elgon under Project NPT/UGA/171: strengthening the capacity of Technical Colleges. This project trained 33 lecturers of the UTCs, who upgraded from diploma to Bachelor’s degree level in the various fields of Engineering.
Engineering Student Associations
The Faculty of Engineering has the oldest professional Engineering student organization in Ugandan Universities. Civil and Building Engineering Students Association (CIBESA) started way back in 1994. Currently, the faculty has a total of eight (8) professional student Associations.
Kyambogo University Engineering Society (KYUES) is a member of the Uganda Institution of Professional Engineers and is the umbrella body for all Engineering Association.
- Kyambogo University Engineering Society (KYUES)
- IEEE Kyambogo University Student Branch
- Kyambogo Electrical and Electronic Engineering Students Association (KEEESA)
The Faculty of Engineering is great at Teaching and Skills Training. It also aims at being the leading Engineering research Faculty in the Region.