Kyambogo University working with partners in the leather sector will host an international conference from Wednesday, August 7 to Friday, August 9, 2019, on leather sector development. This is the first conference of this nature in Africa and will attract both national and international participants. The purpose of the conference is to promote the interaction between Academia, Industry and Government in the promotion of the leather sector in Africa. The Conference will take place at Kyambogo University.
The Conference is organized under the theme; “Emerging Technologies and Innovations for Sustainable Leather Sector Development in Africa.’’
Leather tanning technology at kyambogo university
Dr. Kwetegyeka Justus, the Dean Faculty of Science who is also the conference convener said that there are other sub-themes that will guide the conference and these are:
- Role of academia, industry and government in advancing a sustainable leather sector
- Advances in leather science, technology and innovation
- Existing policies and policy frameworks in support of the leather sector
- Youth and gender empowerment in leather sector development
And the specific objectives are:
- To promote interactions between the academia, industry and government in increasing awareness of inclusive growth, sustainability and resource efficiency in the leather value chain.
- To share knowledge, opportunities and challenges about the leather sector in Africa.
- To discuss existing policies, strategies and programs promoting leather sector development at national, regional and international levels.
- To showcase appropriate technologies and innovations in leather processing and leather products.
The Chief Guest is expected to be Hon. Amelia Kyambadde, Uganda’s Minister of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives. According to the convener, about 300 guests are expected to attend the conference, 20 Participants to present papers and these are from Uganda, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Ethiopia and Kenya.
Among other activities, there will be the paper presentation, Keynote speaker, touring leather industries by participants and Exhibition. Dr. Kwetegyeka said that all staff members are welcome to attend the function and Masters’ Students especially in Science will benefit a lot from the paper presentation.