The 5th International CHAUKIDU Conference KAMPALA, Uganda
Main Topic: The Worldwide Development of Kiswahili and the Sustainability of Other African Languages
Venue: Kampala – Kyambogo University, Kampala, Uganda
Date: December 13- 15, 2019 (Saturday & Sunday)
Workshop: December 13, 2019 (Friday)
Workshop Topic: Experiences and Methods of Teaching Kiswahili
Arrival: Thursday, December 12, 2019
Target Audience: All Kiswahili stakeholders around the world
The fact that Swahili is one of the wider languages of communication (lingua francae) in the East and Central Africa region is a matter that does not need to be debated. However, the fact that lingua francae are accompanied by benefits and challenges or that they positively or negatively affect some communities is a claim that has raised a strong debate within and outside the academia. This is an ongoing debate that calls for responses.
In response to this debate, the 5th International CHAUKIDU Conference aims to provide an opportunity to explore and reflect deeply on the relationship between the development of Kiswahili and the prosperity or underdevelopment of other African languages in the East African region. By doing so, this forum will have made a significant contribution to the broader discussion which could ultimately have an important impact on academic, policy, social, and even attitudinal issues on the daily life of members of the East African community and elsewhere in the world.
Alongside the above goal, the 5th International CHAUKIDU Conference to be held in Kampala – Uganda, will bring together various Kiswahili stakeholders around the world to discuss the development of Kiswahili alongside other East African languages. It is our expectation that many Kiswahili stakeholders will be able to discuss and contribute to these issues through presentations, and talks. We also hope that these discussions will stimulate the development of our prestigious Kiswahili language as well as the other African languages spoken in and outside East Africa.
In conclusion, the conference will provide opportunities for both lovers and Kiswahili advocates, teachers, students, researchers, journalists, politicians, artists, curriculum developers, language officials, publishers, scientists, traders, etc., to exchange and to share among other things, knowledge, expertise, and professionalism related to Kiswahili language.
SUB TOPICS/ PANELS
- Kiswahili and politics/administration/ leadership (safety and security, migration, diplomacy, )
- Kiswahili and culture (traditional, religious beliefs, sports, and cultural constructs.)
- Kiswahili and economic development (industrial, agricultural, fishing, tourism, mining, infrastructure etc)
- Kiswahili and education (educational levels, the language of instruction/learning, academics, research, publication etc)
- Kiswahili and the Arts (music, drama/film, animated, )
- Kiswahili and literature (theory, oral, written, poetry, fiction, )
- Kiswahili and Linguistics (morphology, Syntax, theory, )
- Kiswahili and other African languages (how they build and complement each other, etc.),
- Kiswahili and the media (television, social networks, blogs, )
- Kiswahili for speakers of other languages (Africa, Europe, Asia, America, etc.)
- Kiswahili and its dialects (colloquial Swahili, Sheng and Kiswanglish, etc.)
- Kiswahili, technology and globalization
- Kiswahili and sensitization, spread (knowledge, ideology, technology, etc.)
- Kiswahili and cooperative societies and their development
- Kiswahili studies and research
The deadline for receiving abstracts: 31st May 2019 Please submit your abstract before the deadline to chaukidu2019UG@gmail.com
Notification for accepted abstracts: 15th July 2019
Deadline for submission of full papers: 30th September 2019
- Participants from East Africa: $ 00
- Participants from other parts of Africa: $ 00
- All students: $ 00
- Participants from outside Africa: $ 00
Register before 30th September 2019 to save on the fees!