Kyambogo University is a public university, established in 2003 following the merger of the former Institute of Teacher Education Kyambogo (ITEK), Uganda Polytechnic Kyambogo (UPK), and Uganda National Institute for Special Education (UNISE). The University Campus is located on Kyambogo Hill in the capital city, Kampala. Kyambogo University is the second largest university in Uganda with more than 30,000 students on-campus.
Kyambogo University is a unique institution which has adopted an integrated approach to education, focusing on vocationalising education at all levels. The University has embraced the fields of science and technology, humanities, business management and entrepreneurship, education and teacher development as well as special needs education.
In order to achieve its vision, mission and strategic goals, the University invites applications from suitably qualified Ugandans to fill the position of DEAN OF STUDENTS. Please visit www.kyu.ac.ug/jobs to view and/or download the detailed job advert and general terms for the position:
Job Title: Dean of Students
Salary Scale: M3
Responsible To: Vice Chancellor
Responsible For: Deputy Dean of Students, Chaplains/Imams, Senior Sports Tutor, and Senior Counsellor
To ensure provision of effective and efficient administrative services for the welfare and discipline of students in accordance with the law, University rules and regulations.
- To prepare annual work plans and financial budgets for the Office of the Dean of Students, halls of residence, sports and games, entertainment and directing their implementation.
- To direct the supervision and control of the halls of residence and all matters related to the accommodation of both resident and non-resident students.
- To direct the provision of catering, counselling and guidance services and coordinate student leadership and career development events.
- To direct matters related to the operations of the Students Guild, coordinate, accredit and guide the activities of other student associations in line with policies and regulations of the University.
- To advise the Vice Chancellor and other University Managers on matters relating to student welfare and discipline.
- To direct the organisation and management of student sports, games and recreational activities in line with the university budgets.
- To support the provision of Secretariat services to Committees managing student’s affairs.
- To manage and assess the performance of staff in the Office of the Dean of Students.
- To mentor, coach and counsel staff of the Office of the Dean of Students.
- To liaise with the various religious leaders in support of student’s spiritual wellbeing.
- To liaise with University Managers for the delivery of welfare services to students including health and sanitation.
- To accredit and advise on student accommodation outside the University campus and liaise between hostel owners and students for provision of acceptable services.
- Annual work plans and financial budgets for the Office of the Dean of Students, halls of residence, sports and games, health facilities, entertainment prepared and implemented.
- Halls of residence and all matters related to the accommodation of both resident and non-resident students managed.
- Catering, counselling and guidance services provided and student leadership and career development events coordinated.
- Students Guild operations managed and the activities of other student associations guided.
- Advice to the Vice Chancellor and other University Managers on matters relating to student welfare and discipline tendered.
- Student sports, games and recreational activities managed.
- Secretariat services to Committees managing student’s affairs provided.
- Staff managed and assessed.
- Staff mentored, coached and counselled.
- Religious leaders involved with students supported.
- Student welfare services provided.
- Student accommodation outside the University campus documented and service providers lobbied for acceptable services.
- A Master’s degree in either Education Planning and Management, Human Resource Management, Counselling and Psychology, Psychology and Sociology from a recognized university.
- Must possess a Bachelor’s degree in either Education, Arts (Social Sciences),
Psychology, Social Work and Social Administration from a recognised Institution.
- Should have high level of integrity with excellent communication, leadership and people skills.
- Should have the ability to understand student behavioural patterns, group dynamics and inspire disciplined behaviour.
- Should have emotional intelligence and the ability to critically analyze divergent student issues, problems, act proactively and concretise or establish appropriate solutions.
- Should have proven ability to manage teams and transfer skills and knowledge to others through formal training and technical support.
- Should have broad knowledge about University procedures and regulations relating to student affairs.
- Should have broad knowledge of the process and practice of arbitration, mediation and facilitating negotiation.
- Should have the ability to develop and establish extensive medium and long-term objectives, goals, strategies and a course of action to accomplish requirements of the University relating to student’s affairs.
- Should be computer literate, with good working knowledge of standard office documentation software and conversant with the application of social media networks.
- Should have the ability to sustain change and positively balance the combination of human resources, financial resources, and technology and change processes to realise the University’s strategic objectives.
- Should have the ability to plan, analyse and manage finances.
At least ten (10) years working experience in Institutions of Higher learning preferably in students’ welfare, five (5) of which should have been at senior management level that is, the position of Deputy Dean of Students and above.
d) Age Limit
Should be between 40 and 55 years of age at the time of application.
GENERAL TERMS FOR THE ABOVE POSTS
In accordance with the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act, 2001 (as amended), the successful candidate shall be appointed on contract for five years and shall be eligible for re-appointment in accordance with the provision in the Human Resources Manual.
An attractive remuneration package shall be paid in accordance with the University terms and conditions of service.
- EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT
Upon acceptance of the job offer, the successful candidate will be required to sign a contract of employment with the University setting out the terms and conditions of employment.
4. PERFORMANCE OUTPUTS AND TARGETS
The successful candidate shall sign a five (5) year performance contract implemented through annual performance agreements stipulating his or her performance outputs and targets.
5. PERFORMANCE REVIEWS
In July every financial year, the University shall undertake annual reviews of the officer’s performance which will cover progress towards the achieving of outputs and targets.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested person who meet the minimum requirements should submit Six (6) hard copies of their applications together with the following:
- A detailed and an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates and professional qualifications.
- Names and addresses of three referees who should be advised to send reference letters direct to the Director Human Resources under confidential cover.
- Copies of the birth certificate and National Identity Card or copies of relevant pages of the passport indicating the applicant’s date of birth.
- Sealed application should be sent to the address below not later than 20th May, 2022, 5:00 pm East African Time.
Applications should be addressed to:
DIRECTOR HUMAN RESOURCES
SECOND FLOOR, ADMINISTRATION BLOCK (RECORDS OFFICE)
P.O.BOX 1, KYAMBOGO, KAMPALA UGANDA
Tel: +256 414 286 452
- Only those who respond to this Advert will be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted for interviews.
- Applicants who shall not hear from Kyambogo University on completion of the selection exercise should consider themselves as unsuccessful.
Kyambogo University is an equal opportunity employer.